Milford Campus Centennial Celebration
Happy 100th birthday Milford Campus!
Just over a century ago, Milford was a small but growing, community of about 10,000 residents who needed access to a local hospital. The Milford Hospital Society was founded by a group of dedicated citizens that quickly responded to that need. On January 17, 1921 the first patients were admitted to the temporary Milford Hospital in the historic Stockade House. 100 years later, the population of Milford has grown to over 50,000 and Milford still has its hospital! Even though, the hospital merged with Yale New Haven Health System as a campus of Bridgeport Hospital in 2019, the tradition of providing quality, compassionate and patient-centered care remains unchanged.
Throughout our Centennial year, we will recognize this important milestone with a variety of traditional and non-traditional celebrations that will be held at our two campuses and in the community.
All funds raised through our events and activities this year will benefit the 3 East Renovation Project at Milford Campus. The former maternity unit will host 12 patient rooms, family lounge, quiet room, multipurpose room used for physician therapy, and conference room for staff education. The function of the unit will be post-surgery care with an emphasis on orthopedics. The rooms are designed to reflect an age-friendly vision that will meet the needs of our aging population. The age-friendly design includes simple and readable signage, good lighting, non-slip ﬂoor surfaces, color and pattern of rugs and furniture contrasting for increased perception, stable furniture, spacious and clear walkways and rooms, hand railings on both sides of hallways, and appropriate bed heights.
On January 17, 1921, the first patients were admitted to Milford Hospital. In June 2019, Milford Hospital became a fully integrated campus of Bridgeport Hospital. Throughout 2021, we will celebrate our proud 100-year history and look towards our future as we continue to be healthier together.
Historical Tidbits from Milford Hospital Trivia 1920-1921
- The population of Milford was 10,193 when the Milford Hospital Society was formed in 1920 with a goal to provide a non-profit, general hospital for the community. Today, the population is over 53,000.
- In 1920, the town’s oldest resident, Judge Charles Beardley (age 91) donated 3.5 acres of land on Bridgeport Avenue to the Milford Hospital Society. The historic Stockade House (c.1660) was on the corner of the property and would become the temporary Milford Hospital. The modern hospital still stands on that property.
- The first patients were admitted on January 17, 1921, filling 11 of the 15 beds. They were cared for by the hospital’s nine nurses.
- Prior to the opening, an open house was organized by the women’s auxiliary. Visitors were asked to bring jars of food. More than 500 visitors filled the pantry with enough food for a year. They also made curtains, johnny coats and other patient necessities.
- In March of 1921, nine babies were born at Milford Hospital. All of the babies were boys, including a set of twins.
- In 1921, the charge for a private room was $21 / day.
All funds raised throughout the year will benefit the 3 East Renovation Project at Milford Campus. The former maternity unit will host 12 patient rooms, family lounge, quiet room, multipurpose room used for physical therapy, and conference room for staff education. The function of the unit will be post-surgery care with an emphasis on orthopedics. The rooms are designed to reflect the age-friendly vision to meet the needs of our aging population. Age-friendly design includes simple and easily readable signage, good lighting, non-slip ﬂoor surfaces, color and pattern of rugs and furniture contrasting for increased perception, stable furniture and spacious, clear walkways and rooms, hand railings, on both sides of hallways and bed heights appropriate for older persons.
- $15,000 Presenting Sponsor of Centennial Celebration
- $5,000 Sponsor of Centennial Celebration
- $1,500 Sponsor of Centennial Celebration
- $500 Sponsor of Centennial Celebration
Thank you for your support!
Presented by Dillon's Services
- Run or walk any time between Sunday, April 25th and Sunday, May 9th (Mother's Day)
- Enter your run/walk time using the "Enter Run/Race link" in your confirming run registration email or use the link below:
- All times must be entered by 5PM on May 10th
- The first 200 registrants will receive a commemorative medal
- Results will be emailed to all participants and posted on our website
- Help support the Milford Campus 3 East Renovation Project by engaging others and fundraising: https://justgiving.com/campaign/mccentennial